Thursday, February 21, 2013

Syrups for all your Coffee needs

I recently spent a morning making up some syrups.  Yum.  I truly love to make my own syrups.  Because, well, #1- it's easy and #2- it's cheaper.  There are other reasons.  You can make it fit to your taste needs, you can make more flavors than you've imagined.  Etc., etc., etc.

First things first, decide what you need.  I wanted a cinnamon and caramel syrup.  I always have chocolate on hand but was running out, so I made some more of that too.  I store mine in simple canning jars, you can do whatever you like.

For most of these, I start with a basic simple syrup recipe:  1 cup water, 1 cup sugar.  Easy enough, right?

You'll have to ignore my pans.  They are amazing kitchenaid pans that I apparently didn't know couldn't be put into the dishwasher.  Stainless can be, so I did.  The finish is scratched off and they look like white trash.  Sorry.

Then, for the Cinnamon Syrup, I added 2 large cinnamon sticks (broken in 1/2).  You could add 4 small ones.  This is what I had.



Bring to a boil over med high heat, then pull off burner and let it cool.  Take out the sticks when cool and if there is anything to strain, strain it.  Then, I put it in a canning jar and into the fridge.  


I have no photo of me making the caramel or chocolate syrups.  But, I can tell you how.

The chocolate just takes, sugar, water, cocoa powder and vanilla.
I used 1 cup sugar, 1/2 cup cocoa and dash of salt and stirred it together in a saucepan.  Then, add 2/3 cup water.  Stir it and cook over medium heat until it boils.  Let it cook for 2 more minutes.  Then, remove it from the heat and stir in 1 tsp. vanilla.  Let it cool and store it how you like as well.  In the fridge, for sure.  


The caramel is a recipe I've used before.  I must have let it cook too long this time because I needed to store it in a jar and it was thick.  I've made it before and it was perfect in a squeeze tube, so just follow the directions and you'll be fine.  I may have tried too much at one time.  Easy Caramel Sauce (Pioneer Woman)


Looks yummy, right?  Tell me what syrups you've tried.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...