Thursday, October 11, 2012

Pumpkin Spice Latte at home

We all know it's October.  We all know that I make everything pumpkin this time of year.  And, my coffee is no different.  We all go to the coffeehouse longing for the day that Pumpkin flavored drinks are finally here.  But, wouldn't you love to be able to whip one up at home?  CAN you whip one up at home?

Yes.  It can be done.  And it can taste great.  There are a billion different ways you can do this.  Different recipes, combos of spices, etc.  This is just what I found for me that I liked.  Also, hopefully you already have some of the gear necessary to make a latte.  Then, you'll be surprised at how simple.

First of all, you'll need access to an espresso maker or strong coffee.  I use a stovetop espresso maker.  And, to be honest I'm not even sure if I'm using it correctly.  I'd be ashamed to tell you what high profile, big name coffeehouse I worked for and managed for over 7 years. (ahem>>) But, I did.  And, we didn't use these and I have yet to buy a real espresso maker.  Some day.

But, until then, I do the best I can with mine.  I struggled for awhile and recently bought some canned espresso that told me how much to scoop and it tasted so amazing that any coffee I've ground, I use the same amount.  Would probably like it stronger for this, but I haven't figured that out yet.  AND, if the coffee is bitter, you'll ruin the whole drink.  So, make sure you have the right proportion of coffee to milk, etc.  Or, it won't taste good at all.  Trust me.

Pumpkin spice syrup:
1/2 c. water
1/2 c. sugar
2 TBS pumpkin puree
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp ginger
1/8 tsp cloves
(pinch of salt, optional)


Stir the water and sugar on medium until the sugar is all dissolved.  Then add the pumpkin and spices and let cook for a bit.  It'll cook down some but for me every time I make any homemade syrup, they're always more runny than you would think for "syrup".  Just so you know.  Lighter in texture.  I have found when it's done to sift it through a sieve of some kind.  This helps to remove "sludge" that will land at the bottom of the cup.  Honestly, if you make more of this (double or triple) I'd save the sludge.  It's basically pumpkin butter.  Promise.  I had some and my daughter loves it.  Don't waste!!
Then, let it cool and store in a jar in the fridge.


To make a 16 oz. Pumpkin Spice Latte
Heat up 14 oz. of milk, add 4 oz. of espresso and about 3 or 4 tbs. of syrup.  I chose this size because it's your average coffeehouse variety.  I usually only drink an 8 oz. mug.  I make about 3/4 cup of milk and pour it in my mug with the coffee at the same time (not sure how much).  Then add 1-2 tbs. of syrup.  Yum!  Whipped cream would always be a nice addition.  Especially if someone is coming to coffee or you're having a brunch.


Anyway, hope you enjoy.  Please play with the recipe.  You can figure out something you like better.  Either way, it'll satisfy that craving.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...