Thursday, July 5, 2012

Refurb 101: Kid Refrigerator on Contact

I got a great little refrigerator and stove/sink for Madison given to us for free from some friends.  I was very grateful.  I have already shown you what I did with the stove/sink and you can read about that here.

With the refrigerator, I ran into some trouble.  It wasn't clean, good wood. It was fiberboard, colored brightly and in primary colors.  Just wasn't right for what I wanted.  I know primary colors are good and all, but it's not really me.  So, I wanted to do something, but what.

I originally thought I would paint the whole thing, but let me tell you, it's not easy.  I thought I could take it apart with no trouble but these side panels were literally stapled in at certain points and underneath other pieces that do NOT even come off.  So, if I take this apart, it's going to stay that way.  What to do??

I thought maybe I can just cover it up.  Maybe fabric or contact paper?  Then I saw a blog where a gal bought a chalkboard contact paper, cut a fun shape and stuck it on the fridge.  AH!  Wouldn't that be awesome?  Madi has a big chalk board downstairs, but on her fridge upstairs?  Too cool!

I thought at first, I'll do the chalkboard on the sides and do a pattern on the front.  Did the sides but couldn't choose the right pattern and thought it might be too much.  I actually decided that the way it is set up she couldn't truly write on it too much so I decided the front doors would actually be easier. So, that's what I did.


I peeled it back and applied it slowly.  I smoothed it out as I went.  Then I used Mr. Exacto to trim it up.  It's not perfect but it is toned down now which I prefer.  You definitely have to prime it first by laying a piece of chalk on it's side and filling the board.  You can wipe with a chalk eraser and it works well (better than the paint on my wall downstairs).

This stuff is awesome.  And, we might even put some on a wall at my husband's studio.  Thought it could be cute on the wall with a wood frame around it.  Right?  Let me know the fun ways that you use contact paper!

click photo to purchase

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...