Thursday, July 19, 2012

From the East Side: Fairytales Bookstore

This past weekend was a wet one.  But I have been wanting to go to a story time at our local children's bookstore for a long time so I braved the storm.  And when I say "braved" I mean that I drove through all the flooded back roads to get there.  Yikes...

Fairytales has been around for a bit now and I've actually written a little about it before.  Check that out here.  They have moved their location another 5 minutes from us (small tear) but it was probably better for them and now they share a spot with some of East Nashville's best ice cream at The Pied Piper Creamery.  (yum).  I'm sure this arrangement has got to be mutually beneficial.  Ha.

My in-laws were with me so the photos here are all courtesy of my wonderfully talented father in law Dan.  Just so you know...


When we arrived it was pretty quiet.  I know the weather can have that affect so I asked Tammy (the owner) if there was a story time today.  She said "of course" but would be just a minute.  I think she was embarrassed that I had to ask but I knew how bad it was outside and didn't know if it had been cancelled.  That was the only reason that I asked.  We were content wandering around the store.  And, Madison had found a special corner to get lost in.







When she started I realized we were the only ones there.  She had mentioned that since moving the story time groups were usually smaller and it was no problem.  She literally read to my child alone.  I felt bad (like I can't entertain my own kid, ha).  But, I appreciate her kindness.  The book was The Pigeon Finds a Hot Dog!




I love the Pigeon books by Mo Willem and love the Piggie and Gerald books too.  We have some of those and Madi adores them.  It was perfect.  Afterward, she even had a craft.  Gave us a whole box of modeling clay and Madi made her very own hot dog.  Just sweet.  Me and my mother in law (Sue) continued our search for a book to buy and each bought Madison a Pigeon book.  I highly recommend you look into them because they are all hilarious.  We read our first one at the library and that is what Sue bought, Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus!.







Ms. Tammy and her store have recently won the 2011 Pannell Award which applauds "the work of booksellers who stimulate, promote and encourage children's and young people's interest in books.  And for babies on up to young adults, there are books for all.







I want you to know this is an easy location in the heart of East Nashville and Five Points.  There is ample parking on the street and a lot adjacent to where they are.  You have to check it out.  Please do. It is a perfect spot for all the latest books, Melissa and Doug toys and all sorts of arts and crafts items.  I can tell you at both of Madison's birthday parties, most of the bags had the Fairytales logo on them.  That's just how we roll in the 'hood.  And you should too...

114 B. S. 11th St.
Nashville, TN  37206

Check the website for updates, subscribe to the email list, etc. to be notified of special happenings.  Story time is every Saturday at 11:00 am.  It also has special coupons and offers.  Also, the store has fair prices and is open Tuesday - Friday from 12pm-7pm and Saturday & Sunday from 10am-6pm.  



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...