Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Chicken Noodle Soup

Mmm.. Smell it?
Yum.  Right?  It's perfect for this time of year.

I've got to tell you that I have no recipe.  Though, I will tell you what I do and hope it inspires you because it's SO easy, really.  It's silly not to try.

First, you need chicken.  I've been buying boneless, organic chicken thighs from Costco and find it an inexpensive white meat with lots of flavor.  So, you can always "poach" these.  By covering with water and bringing to a boil, then simmering until done (maybe @ 20 minutes).  But, you could always use leftover cooked chicken from a roasted chicken you made, bought, etc.  You could always buy the chickens cooked whole at the grocery or Costco.  Yum!

I start in a pan with a bit of oil, carrots, celery and onions.  All chopped as fine as you want and cook them on medium high until onions are translucent and they all get nice and soft.  Then, you're gonna want to add some salt/pepper to taste and then your stock.  Now, you can use homemade stock (yeah for you) or whatever you have on hand.  I'll tell you my favorite.  It's an organic base that you just spoon into boiling water.  It's not as pricey as this but it's not cheap.  Lasts a long time though and I keep it in the fridge and always have stock.  GOOD, rich stock.  Much better than the canned water stuff readily available.

Then, I add the cooked chicken back in and I throw in a bunch of egg noodles and let it cook until they are done.  Now, you could always make them ahead of time per package directions and then add at the last minute. But, this is how I do it.

Tips, tricks?
Well, sometimes I add oregano, thyme to the carrot mix.
I ALWAYS add the leaves from the celery and take out later.  Little Martha Stewart trick that adds a lot of flavor and health benefits!
My chicken base.  Seriously!  I have made a white chicken chili for years and since using this base it is SO much better!!
Make simple Better Homes Cookbook drop biscuits to go with, yum!
(or the pillsbury frozen ones are good too)
Freeze some if you're afraid you won't eat it all.  It freezes easily in a plastic container and you have it when you're sick.

EAT IT, now!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...