Thursday, September 1, 2011

Blueberries Galore

A bit ago I received 5 lbs of Blueberries from good friends.  Very good friends.  Maybe our favorite friends.  (ha, well the blueberries are a good start, right?)

I decided I needed to do something nice for them.  So after making blueberry pancakes, waffles and muffins, yum!  I decided to try some blueberry jam.  Oh yum!


Here is what I did:
4 cups blueberries
2 1/2 cups sugar (could vary depending upon sweetness of berries)
juice of 1 lemon
1 tbs. butter

Make sure all blueberries have no stems, are washed and ready to go.  Put all in a pot with butter and mash and heat.  Once berries are mashed to your liking, add sugar and juice and stir.  Bring to a rolling boil.  You can reduce heat and let cook for @ 45 minutes.  I'd make sure it's still boiling but don't let it burn, stick or boil over.  You wanna cook all that liquid out. Should be at a good consistency by then.  Then process as you normally do.

I do a hot water bath which is boiling water in a pot, placing jars inside with rings loose around top and let heat for 10 to 15 minutes.  Get out and listen to the pops!

PLEASE NOTE I'M NOT GIVING A CANNING LESSON SO KNOW WHAT YOU'RE DOING FIRST AND USE ALL THE RIGHT GEAR!  No burning yourselves or exploding jars because of me, kay?

Anyway, this turned out awesome!  And, now I have some "Donohue Blue" for a bit to come.  Yeah, I'm cheesy and I make labels for all jams with address labels.  I put our name on them and year and give them away!

This was a blue summer, yum!  And maybe it'll encourage them to bring us more when they go back!  Of course we shared it with them.  Just not anyone else...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...