Monday, April 4, 2011

Monday Green Cleaning

So, it's Earth Month.  I thought I'd give you some ideas every Monday on how to be more "green".
http://act.earthday.org/
I've been wanting to write for a while about my new green cleaning.  Ha.  I've been experimenting since last Summer with using vinegar and baking soda instead of toxic cleansers.  For me, I've tried some natural cleansers but they were too gentle on my OLD shower/tub that seems to only get clean with toxic chemicals.  Kill me, right?  Stephen has to scrub the tub every few months just to get the "ring" out of the bottom.  I mean where you stand, not around the tub.  Just never could get it clean.  I needed more arm strength.  Ugh.

Well, I started using 1/2 vinegar, 1/2 water in a spray bottle.  I'd sprinkle baking soda on top for a good "scrub" and I will say that he hasn't had to do that.  I don't even scrub that hard but nothing seems to build up.  Awesome!  It worked so well but I started to wonder about the actual anti-bacterial properties and such so I looked it up.  Everywhere I looked talked about how great both products are at chewing through mildew, soap scum, killing all types of bacteria, etc.  Sounds too good to be true, right?  But, I have used it since and I'm not planning on looking back.

Stephen HATES vinegar.  Horribly, so I didn't tell him until about 8 months in.  He didn't even know.  ONE time he said, "what is that smell?"  Only because he walked in right when I was done.  I like that I can light a candle and the room smells like I want it to.  Not chemically (ha).  And, Madison can be around when I'm cleaning and I'm not saying, "don't.  get out".  Well, when she's in the toilet, but otherwise, no!

Here is a link to only one article about it.

Feel good about a few things:  Your kids aren't being smothered by fumes.  You're saving a TON of money since a big jug of vinegar is only a couple of dollars and you can buy baking soda cheap (and at Sam's/Costco).  And both products are always in your pantry anyway, right?  You're also making your "footprint" a little smaller.  And everyone benefits that way!

Happy Green Cleaning!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...